Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Mighty Fortress

Happy Reformation Day! “A mighty fortress is our God, a trusty shield and weapon.”  I love, love, LOVE singing this hymn in church, and I can’t wait until Sunday for our Reformation service to do just that.  Now, I know many of you have seen the pictures I posted on facebook today of our little Honey Bee (also known as Eliza-bee and Lib-bee).  And although the costumes are fun and the candy is right up there, too, I wanted to make sure everybody knows that I started my October 31 with grateful, prayerful thoughts about the blessings of the Lutheran Reformation… due in large part to the many of you posting songs and Scripture and your own devotional thoughts.  So thanks for turning the wheels in motion bright and early this morning and getting me thinking (and now blogging) about our God, our Mighty Fortress, for an appropriate amount of time BEFORE dressing up the cutest little bumblebee the world has ever seen and parading her around town :)

 

I love that Scripture paints so many different pictures of our God.  We follow Him as our Good Shepherd, we pray to Him as our Father and our dear Brother, we collapse into His loving embrace as our Gentle Savior.  And today especially, we praise and honor Him as our Mighty Fortress.  Not a blanket fort that can be quickly folded and put away.  Not a tree-house built of scraps and dreams.  Not even the strongest, most imposing of earthly castles, seemingly impenetrable in its prime, yet today abandoned, rickety, aging, empty.  We’re talking about an everlasting, all-powerful, never-failing God.

 

Early this morning a dear friend gave me some food for thought.  She asked me if I have ever really thought about what a BLESSING infertility has been and thanked God for the experience (she’s recently gone through quite the rigmarole herself). I thought and thought about it, and realized I haven’t.  My mind has acknowledged the beauty of God’s plan in bringing Libby to us, and I’ve thanked Him for the road we had to travel because I was able to support and be supported by some wonderful friends.  But actually THANKED Him for the very thing that tore me up inside for years and caused me so much hurt and shame?

 

It seems crazy.  It’s easy enough to do long after the fact, when we’ve had time to see The Plan unfold and our human minds now comprehend a teeny bit of the plan.  But while it’s going on? While we’re being barraged and assaulted, while the walls are crumbling around us?

 

Yep.  She was right. Because He is right.  Right and good and perfect. We’re instructed in His word to praise Him in all circumstances.  And that doesn’t mean just to praise Him DESPITE our struggles, for all the other blessings apparent in our life.  That means to look those trials straight in the face and say “THANK YOU, LORD,” whether or not you understand why you’re saying it. 

 

What is a fortress? The first and easiest answer that comes to mind is a structure of protection.  God gives many examples in His word and in our lives of how He protects us, and promises that He always will.  He does not promise that we will always understand His every call as our Commander in Chief.  Sometimes He does things to protect us and keep us close to Him that baffle us completely… we’re crushed by pain or hurt or grief and what the sinful world is doing TO us in this trial, rather than recognizing what our God may be doing FOR us through this trial.  But He never stops loving, protecting, and directing all things for our good.  He wraps His everlasting arms around us, mighty as the massive stone walls surrounding a fortress.

 

Life was never perfect inside the walls of those ancient structures, nor are our lives perfect, even with the love of our Lord wrapped around us.  Sin creeps into every corner.  Sometimes the greatest threat to the security of the fortress is internal.  History is full of accounts in which greed, anger, jealousy, or despair crumbled an empire from within, and the same things happen within us.  But he gives us the tools we need to protect the treasure of the faith He has begun in our hearts.

 

Alongside the pain and ugliness that resides within the fortress are some beautiful, wonderful blessings, as well.  A city of believers, full of praise and encouragement, knowing just the right thing to say, exactly what we need to hear.  A loving smile, a warm embrace, a promise that you will be lifted up in prayer.  As I live my life wrapped in God’s protecting arms, I’ve felt His love through my friends and family so many times and am SO THANKFUL that He has let them into my life.  And I cherish the opportunities I am given to be that person to someone else who needs it.

 

And what else does our God, our Mighty Fortress give to us? Yes, He is our “trusty shield,” but he’s also our “weapon.” He gives us both defense AND offense.  He doesn’t just place us His arms to lie still and let Him do all the heavy lifting.  He gives us weapons of our own through His word and sacrament: promises and reassurances and actual, historical accounts of how He has provided for centuries of believers before us.  We take those promises and hurl them at the world.  Occasionally we can zero straight in on our target, understanding perfectly how God will protect us and work for our good.  More often than not, we can’t get a good shot.  We close our eyes, draw back, and let our Savior’s arrow fly, not knowing where it will hit.  “I don’t know, God, HOW you are ever going to get me out of this one, or WHEN I will ever see the other side, but you promised me, you PROMISED, and I’m taking your word for it.”

 

And that’s what I’m determined to do better after talking with my friend this morning: hurl those arrows of God’s word blindly at my earthly troubles.  I don’t have to know where they’re going to hit, I only need to know that they will accomplish their purpose.  I look those trials straight in the face, I thank my Lord for any blessing He has designed here for me, and then I deliver the knock-out punch: God’s promise to ALWAYS work for the good of those who love Him.  Then I close my eyes and lean back on my Savior’s loving arms.  "On earth is not His equal."

 
 
And maybe I also think a bit about my Little Baby Bumblebee :)


No comments:

Post a Comment