Thursday, April 18, 2013

Yummy Thursday - Chimichangas

I really enjoyed posting my last entry about open adoption.  I’ve been meaning to write on the topic for over a year, but never got around to it.  SO GLAD the mood didn’t strike me earlier; it just wouldn’t have been complete without the story of meeting birth family two weeks ago.
 
That one took a lot out of me, though, and so did all the emotional feedback I got - which I LOVE - don’t stop! But I was reminded of an idea I had about a month ago… it really would be nice to use this blog for more than just once-a-month tearjerker adoption stories.  It might be nice to show other sides of myself than over-the-top emotional mama! So I’m going to try (emphasis on TRY) once or twice a week to post about other things.  Fun things! And much shorter posts :)

Around here, since it’s just the two of us full-size-eaters (and little three-bite Libby), I usually only cook 2-3 times a week, and then we munch on leftovers until they’re gone.  The nights that I cook vary, but Thursday is usually a good bet.  Since I work on Friday, I like to be sure there is something ready for Tim to start reheating so it is ready the moment I get home from work.  Sitting at a desk all day works up an appetite somehow :)

So I’m going to start by adding Yummy Thursday to the blog.  Recipes and pictures of food… who doesn’t like that? Well, for starters, those people you always hear complaining about pictures of food on Facebook.  Well, now you know, if you’re one of those: don’t read the blog on Yummy Thursday.

So tonight we had chimichangas… super yummy.  I started making these about five years ago, inspired by my dear friend Sara who gave me many of my favorite recipes.  I have no idea if I make them like her Original Recipe anymore… I’m not much of a recipe follower.  A handful of this, a few spoons of that… yeah, if you’re driven crazy by “approximate” recipes, then you also might want to tune out on Yummy Thursdays.

Chimis came on my radar yesterday when I got a box of delicious mangoes from Sam’s Club.  (PS I got away BY MYSELF yesterday for FOUR HOURS to THREE STORES. It was glorious.) I love to serve fresh pineapple when I make Mexican at home, and I saw the mangoes and couldn’t resist the combination.

 
 So I usually end up making about 6 cups of filling when all is said and done.  If I make too much, or if I don’t use it all, I freeze it up, or use it in omelets or a quesadilla.  Today my filling contained:
·         black beans (maybe 2 cups?)
·         brown rice (also 2 cups-ish)
·         salsa (about ½ cup)
·         3 green onions, sliced thin
·         a pile of cilantro, chopped coarsely (about ½ bunch)
·         1 pound ground beef (that measurement I’m sure about ;)
Mix together well.  No need for salt or other seasonings; there’s plenty of flavor without.  When I have it on hand, I like to add frozen corn.  They’re also really good with shredded chicken instead of beef.

Tonight I just made six chimis for tonight’s supper and tomorrow’s lunch.  The rest of the filling I put in the fridge for tomorrow night.  For the six I made tonight, I grated about a cup of sharp cheddar.  Then I warmed six large flour tortillas in the microwave between damp paper towels for about 30 seconds.  I’ve tried doing these without warming them, and the tortillas tend to crack, no matter how soft they are.

To assemble, spinkle some cheese over a tortilla and then top with filling.  You’ll get a feel once you start wrapping them how full to fill them so they wrap tight – I’m thinking about a half cup each? Wrap three sides around the filling and then roll tight so the cheese doesn’t ooze out while baking... like that top left one... oops!


Now the best part… do not skip this step! This is what makes them CHIMICHANGAS and not just a nice, baked burrito.  Pour some oil in a dish and season with a little something for extra flavor… tonight I used Pampered Chef Southwest Seasoning, other times I have just used garlic and onion powder.  Use a basting brush to oil the top and sides generously with the seasoned oil.  Then they will bake up crispy and golden and YUMMY!  Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until they look golden enough for you.  And make sure your eat with a heap of sour cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment