Thursday, May 30, 2013

Yummy Thursday - Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

Neither recipe this week is especially fancy, nor can I claim them as my own.  But they're down-home delicious, and we're creating family traditions here.  What could be yummier than that? Enjoy :)
-------------------------------------------

I'm 30 years old, and before last Thursday, I had never made a homemade pie crust.  Now I'm sure there are a lot of 30-year-olds who could care less if they never make a pie with storebought crust, let alone homemade, but given my deep love of cooking and baking, I figured it was high time THIS girl started to figure it out.

At some point back in our college days, Tim and I made the amazing discovery that January 23 is National Pie Day.  I don't know if January 23 was still months away, or maybe we knew right off the bat that once a year would not be enough, but we decided to celebrate a monthly Pie Day on the 23rd of every month.  Our special tradition held pretty strong throughout college, but had since fallen away.  We were only remembering to have pie a few times a year :(

Then we joined a wine club while we were in California in April.  We went to so many cute wineries during our time there, and at our favorite one we signed up to receive a 6-bottle shipment twice per year.  Our first case came last week.  I lined six sumptuous reds in my wine rack and just knew that if I didn't make some kind of rule, they would be gone before I knew it.

So... Pie Day is back, and better than ever.  It's Pie and Wine Day at my house, the 23rd of every month.  That way, the wine-club-wine will last, and I can keep working on my pie crust!

So, back to my first pie crust.  I read a few recipes and decided I better start with a basic shortening crust.  I had no shortening in the house, so I found myself in Wally World a few hours later, staring at rows and rows of glop, wondering if a nice, healthy coconut oil wouldn't make a decent crust instead.  Thank the Lord for smart phones! I KNOW I irritated at least two grandmas and a frazzled-looking, pajama-clad mama of five, trying to maneuver two carts as I stood there in the baking aisle on my phone, probably checking facebook for all she knew.  Well, tired mama, if you're reading this, I promise I was doing something worthwhile: googling "coconut oil pie crust." And here is what I found:

http://bakingbites.com/2012/11/coconut-oil-pie-crust/

It was good! Probably a little more difficult to work with than regular shortening, but what would I know? I've never done this before.

I made a double-batch of the crust, since I have a deep-dish pie plate and wanted a lattice-top, as well.  Then (because I already have rhubarb coming out of my ears) I filled it with this yumminess:





I figured, who better than the trusty old red-and-white BH&G cookbook to consult for my first from-scratch pie?
 
I had a little bit of crust left, so made two little tarts in one-cup glass dishes.  Just the crust, filled with sliced strawberries and a few chocolate chips.  Baked about 10 minutes less than the whole pie.  Ate them last night with ice cream... yum!  But they were nothing compared to the main event... so wonderfully summery and just plain delicious! My mouth is watering already thinking about June 23... another bottle of the precious wine-club-wine, another opportunity to perfect my pie crust (before I'm 31), and the pie, OH THE PIE... what kind shall I make next month, friends?
 

2 comments:

  1. Megan-
    I made two rhubarb pies in the last week. Found this really easy peasy pie crust on Pinterest. Really flakey. If you ever want to try it. 3 c flour, 1 1/2 cups shortening. I use a pastry cutter and cut that shortening into many pieces with the flour. Add a beaten egg, 1 T vinegar and 5 T cold water. Mix with a large spoon and it will shape into a ball. Then you can divide it in two and use right away or you can wrap with plastic wrap and freeze both balls of dough. It rolls out really easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in college I worked at a local pie and burger bar in auburn called Ikeda's. They have the best crust and crumble topping, I'm so glad I worked there and learned their secrets :)

    ReplyDelete