Thursday, May 2, 2013

Yummy Thursday - Turkey & Ricotta Meatballs

Turkey & Ricotta Meatballs, yummmmmm.  We had them last night already - we had yummy Wednesday this week.  I first made these a couple months ago.  Tim and I barely got one meal out of that first batch, before the dog sniffed his way up onto the counter and polished off the rest of the pan that I had left out to cool while we were out of the house for a few hours.  Little stinker. 

There are two things I usually hate about making meatballs.  The first is that they are SO time-consuming.  You have to mix everything up, then roll out each one, then take the time to brown them in a frying pan, THEN sit and wait while they finish baking.  Well, I decided that as long as I was writing my own recipe, I would skip at least one step and make them NO-FRY.  I suppose you can probably do that with ANY meatball, I’ve just never tried.  And at least with these, I know from experience that they are super-yummy just mixed, rolled, and baked.

The other thing I hate about making meatballs (and meatloaf) is mixing coooooold ingredients with bare hands.  I’m just a wuss.  It makes my hands and forearms literally ache.  I can only mix for about twenty seconds and then I have to go run my hands under hot water before I dive back in.  Well, there’s no avoiding it with these meatballs.  Too many yummy ingredients that need to get mixed in really well.  But my point in bringing it up is that they are SO worth the cold and the pain.  Yummmmmmmm.

My sauce is inspired by Nicholas Sparks.  Didn’t see that one coming, did ya? :) Several years back, I was reading one of his novels, I can’t even remember which one right now.  Bonus points to whomever can tell me.  In the story, some girl ran off to the beach with some guy and it started pouring rain and they ran inside and she made him fabulous pasta.  He was an Italian, so he was baffled at the simplicity (and lack) of ingredients in her sauce.  San Marzano tomatoes, onion, and butter – nothing more.  I had my own doubts (HOW can you not add BASIL, at the very least), but I decided when making these meatballs that it was time to try the Nicholas Sparks sauce, because the meatballs carry so much flavor on their own.  And it. is. yum.

 

·         ½ bunch Italian Parsley
·         2 eggs
·         ½ cup bread crumbs (I used panko)
·         Juice of ½ lemon
·         3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
·         Salt and pepper
·         One secret ingredient that I won’t tell.  Then you will all come visit me to see how mine taste :) Kidding.  The reason I add this is not to be a snot… it’s to encourage your own creativity.  Add something fun to make it your own!

Blend above ingredients well in a food processor.  Or chop the parsley really tiny by hand and mix it yourself.  Try cutting fresh herbs with a pizza cutter – it’s pretty fast! Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours to let the flavors blend.  The mixture will also thicken up as the bread crumbs absorb the moist ingredients.  Then mix by hand with:

·         1 (15-oz) container ricotta cheese
·         2 pounds lean ground turkey (I suppose you could use beef and it would probably taste fantastic, but I use turkey to cut the calories since you’re also eating a tub of ricotta, half a stick of butter, and a pile of pasta.  Maybe cut out the lemon if you use beef.)

Preheat oven to 375 and put the following in a 9x13 pan:

·         ½ stick butter
·         ½ large onion, chopped

Cook until the butter is melted and sizzly, and the onions are just beginning to brown.  Remove from oven and stir in:

·         1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes (I haven’t tried with San Marzano.  No clue where to find them in Darwin, MN :) But I’m sure it would be to-die-for)
·         A drizzle of balsamic vinegar across the whole pan (I know Nicholas Sparks would be upset, but I just can’t resist)
·         A little salt

 
 



 
When the sauce is stirred well, start rolling your meatballs and laying them out in rows, directly in the sauce.  Oops, I should have mentioned this before: you will have enough meat for TWO pans of meatballs.  You can freeze half, or  better yet - make a pan for a friend!  I just prefer to make this amount of meat so I use up all the ricotta and have less parsley left over.  When your sauce is full of yummy meatballs, cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.  Then remove foil and bake another 15.  Serve over heaps of pasta with a mound of fresh parmesan.  And probably a salad, just to make yourself feel better.

No comments:

Post a Comment